- Wear a “column of color” – one color head to toe.
- Add a contrasting over-layer bodice – OPEN – so the eye continues to follow the column underneath
- A scarf tied at the center front adds another slimming vertical line. A long necklace might have a similar effect.
- Color-tone hosiery to the hemline and the shoe to avoid hard horizontal color breaks.
- A shoe with a 2″ heel lifts and shapes the lower leg.
- Shoes with a lower vamp expose more of the foot, for a longer-legged look.
- Body-shaping pantyhose smooth out any “lumps and bumps” on your lower body.
- A spandex-blend camisole (worn over or instead-of a bra) minimize any back bulges.
- Be sure your bra provides enough support – the full point of your bust should rest no lower than halfway between your sternal notch and your navel.
- With any unstructured bodice or sweater, try adding a removable foam shoulder pad to balance any extra fullness in your hips, tummy, bust or upper arm.
- Try pushing up your sleeves -it moves the eye upward away from your hips.
- Add statement earrings – at least the size of a dime – to further anchor attention near your face.
- Keep fabrics soft and drapable, but not clingy.
- Use darker,duller colors on parts of your body you’d like to minimize.
- Use brighter, lighter colors on other areas to create a visual balance.
- For information on camouflaging specific figure challenges, see the book LOOKING GOOD Every Day or enroll in one of our all-day Style School sessions.