I’m well aware that certain designers and stylists heavily promote the idea that panty hose are the worst thing that ever happened and no woman should ever wear them. If you actually agree with that, I’m not about to argue that you should do otherwise. But if you are just being pressured into following this “new rule”, here are a few good reasons to think the opposite as well as some alternatives.
- I find panty hose perfectly comfortable. Most of us wear tights all the time in cooler weather – and that feels almost exactly like panty hose, right?
- Body-shaper panty hose smooth out one’s figure from the waist down. Those of a certain age just aren’t as firm as we used to be, so this can be a lovely plus.
- I think it is cooler in hot weather. To be explicit, when the alternative is having my sweaty thighs rubbing together, I’ll opt for panty hose every time.
- Panty hose even out my skin tone color too – and even with strappy or backless shoes I don’t find them overly noticeable.
- Speaking of shoes, panty hose also keep your feet from feeling sweaty in your shoe – and you know how yucky that feels, right?
There are plenty of brands and types to choose from. My preference is Great Shapes All-Over Shaper from NoNonsense. I choose the Beige Mist color and buy one size larger than my height/weight would suggest. That way I don’t get an obvious roll above the waistband. (They also offer a Super-Sheer version if you prefer.)
I toss them right into the washer with my delicate things and hang them to dry. Unless you are a rabid panty hose-hater I’d invite you to pick up a pair at your local drug store or Target. If you like them you can reorder more affordably at NoNonsense.com.
If you really are happier with a bare leg, but don’t have time to get a great tan, try Jergens Natural Glow (Walgreens, CVS) moisturizer and self-tanner. Builds up subtle, natural color over a few days. For best results, hpe in the shower, exfoliate first to remove dry, dead skin. Turn off the shower and apply the creme, rubbing it into your damp skin. Apply sparingly to rougher areas like knees, ankle and elbows. Pat dry; the color won’t come off on your towel. Repeat every other day until you et the color you want, then 2x week to maintain.
Get gentle shaping – in comfort – with Jockey brand Skimmies breathable slip-shorts. This long-length underwear style provides smoothing coverage with lightweight, stretchy microfiber fabric (79% nylon/ 18% spandex/ 3% cotton) and a seam-free design. Wider waist and leg bands offer a stay-put fit for all-day comfort. I tried the shorter version, but found the leg openting tended to roll up a bit.
NOTE: I am not compensated for directing you to these products. I avoid affiliate programs because I don’t want to risk having my recommendations influenced by financial considerations.